Wondering why you haven’t seen anything new in a week? Please be patient while we handle the technical challenges involved with transferring over 11,000 articles and 77,500 individual comments from our proprietary SoapBlox platform to WordPress.
We received notice a few months ago that the Web host that had managed SoapBlox would shut down this year, so everyone still using it (a number of statewide progressive blogs) needed to put together a migration plan.
The good part?
- The new Web host is?less expensive for hosting and we’ll use WordPress as the platform.
- We’ll have a refreshed layout that’s mobile-friendly and doesn’t look like it’s stuck in 2006….
- There will be more commenting options, including Facebook comments. ?But we decided to NOT use “just” FB comments because some people don’t care for FB.
- The blog will be easier to maintain. ?SoapBlox software hasn’t been updated for at least 3 years.
- The expense. Paying the new host & purchasing a WordPress theme (didn’t want to chance a free theme when we could spend some $$ & get lifetime tech support).
- The time. Yes, I’m obsessive. Even though our purchased WP theme looks great, I wasn’t satisfied with some of the colors, the line spacing, the text size, the fonts, etc. So I’ve spent an inordinate amount of time editing the style sheet and have really refreshed my rather-atrophied CSS skills.
- The timing. Arrgh! The host would want to start the migration right when the Alabama Legislature was having its SECOND special session of the year! Because I thought it was way important to try and keep up with that circus, a lot of the migration details had to get pushed back a few weeks.So we’re under the gun and trying to accomplish a number of tasks before the old host goes dark on October 15. ?That’s why there’s been no new content on the blog in a week. ?Oh, and the fact that it coincided with the Jewish High Holidays, with the days of sitting in synagogue just put a cherry on top, LOL….